Thursday, October 10, 2013

Time for Dewey's Readathon

My goodness! It's been FOREVER since I posted here. It's not because I haven't been reading - I read every day - but things have been a tad busy.

Lately I've been in a lot of bookstores. And recently there was the Vancouver Book Fair and Word Vancouver too! I have so many books waiting to be read - it's time for a reading weekend. Since it's also time for Dewey's 24 hour Readathon, 12 October 2013, I'm signing up.

Just finished reading C. J. Sansom's Sovereign (2006). The only unsatisfying thing about that book for me was that at 653 pages, it's too short! 

For the Readathon I expect to be reading both The Aroostook War of 1839 by W.E. (Gary) Campbell (2013) about the "oft-forgotten" occupation(s) of the Aroostook River Valley1 (Maine/New Brunswick border) and The Baghdad Railway Club by Andrew Martin (2012) - poles apart, I know.

Now I've started up a Facebook page for our Lower Mainland Vancouver BC Canada Bookcrossing group too, so look for me there.



1Seriously, had you ever heard of this War before? Here are just a couple of on-line references.

The Border Dispute: How the Maine-New Brunswick border was finalized, The Upper St. John River Valley website, Chip Gagnon: http://www.upperstjohn.com/history/northeastborder.htm

"A Young Soldier's Account of the Aroostook War", The Story of Maine: http://www.mpbn.net/homestom/p13soldierswar.html

7 comments:

  1. By your book choices it sounds like you're a history buff? Good Luck with the #readathon and I look forward to reading your progress. 5 hours until kick off, or should that be read off? hmmm...
    #TeamTiger
    p.s please turn off captcha so us cheerleaders can comment easily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some very interesting reads you have going! G'luck on getting all you want read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." (Annie Dillard)
    So let's spend today reading :)
    Team Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your reading is going well. Keep up your energy levels by going for a walk or star jumps and drink water regularly. Keep it up! #TeamTiger

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Little by little does the trick." (Aesop)
    Or maybe we should say 'hour by hour' :)
    Team Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone. I am still up and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, Diane! Keep up the good reading! #TeamTiger

    ReplyDelete